Oct 3 - dug out loads of compost and moved it to an area of lawn that will become a new garden. Much of the compost is still 'composting', so it will need to sit through the winter and maybe next summer too. We estimated that it was 4 cubic yards of compost. Still some left to dig out and spread. Should be a good 6 inches of compost across the whole area. Would be better a bit deeper, but I'm running out of compost!
Lots of hostas, ferns, daylilies and others to move to the new garden - perhaps next fall. I've already moved many of these over from my apt. to another bed that I started this way over a year ago. Both beds are in a very dry area under the pine trees. A gardening challenge. Dry, a bit shady, acid from the pines and sand. Will need lots and lots of compost every year.
Some of the astilbe in that area have already died. And the columbine plants must have tasted good to some passing deer. It's a waiting game and survival of the fittest!
No comments:
Post a Comment