Sunday, April 15, 2012
Compost time
It was either mow the lawn or dig out the compost heap yesterday. And it just didn't seem right to have to mow the lawn in April. So the compost heap won. I have 3 big wire bins that are awkwardly tucked between a crumbling stone fireplace that has seen better days and an equally unscenic chain link fence. At least the fence was once green and is now rusty, it blends into the landscape, sort of.
Anyways, the bins work great, they're just difficult to get to them. I end up having to dig out while I'm standing in them. Good exercise! The bottom half of all 3 bins was ready to use. The rest of the contents has been shifted into two bins with lots of compost starter sprinkled through them. This may be the year I get a second 'crop' of compost.
After all that work, what a treat it was to be able to put my own compost on my roses. I hope they appreciate my labor and grow, grow, grow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ah, now I know why your garden always looks so beautiful when I see your Flickr stream!
ReplyDelete